Thursday, November 20, 2008

To snitch or not to snitch

If you know me, you know that I can't stand a liar. That being said, I have a moral delima. Where I work on Sundays we don't punch a clock. We just write our measly few hours on a sheet and turn them in every week. If our supervisor isn't there, it's my job to turn in the time sheets. Last week I noticed something.

If I get to work early I will hang out in the nursery until it's time for me to go upstairs (about 9:15 or 9:20). I didn't go upstairs until closer to 9:30 this past week because I needed to make sure there was another person in the nursery. When I picked up the time sheets in the afternoon, this woman's sheet said she got there at 8:30.

Here's my delimma. She lied. It's possible she's lied every week since she's been working. But these 3 little hours are the only ones she works in a week. This is my 2nd job and I am just getting by. Do I do the right thing and tell someone that she is lying? Or do I let her keep doing it because she really does need those extra few dollars?

Did I mention this is a church?

2 comments:

Lorelle said...

Do I really need to tell you what to do? You need to do the right thing. I know its hard, but she's lying and cheating the church out of money that she doesnt deserve. She needs to know that lying doesnt get you anywhere.

Amanda said...

Thank you. And just an update. Our supervisor apparently had an idea this was going on. She and I discussed it this past week and she planned to talk to her about it before we left. I hate to do it, but you don't lie and you don't steal. (Especially from a church)