Monday, June 2, 2008

The water's just fine

"No person ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and she's not the same person." - Heraclitus
Think about it: If you dip your toe into the river and remove it and then immediately dip your toe back into the water, you are now experiencing a different stream. Like the river, we too are alive and constantly in the process of change. None of us is the same person we were yesterday; we're not even the same person we were an hour ago.

Today, in this moment, embrace the reality that you and everything around you is in a constant state of flux - everything is always in the process of change. Realize the possibility and freedom that the constancy of change offers you. None of us is without hope. None of us knows enough to be a pessimist. Every bad moment will soon pass. And every good moment must be celebrated and cherished in the moment, for it too will soon pass, opening a fresh opportunity in which to dip your toe. Again, I borrowed this from someone much more insightful than myself, but it is true and really spoke to me. Everything around me is changing and I am in a constant state of limbo. This may be why I have had a pretty sorry week (or at least partly to blame). It's been pretty bad for those around me, I've tried (kind of hard) not to let my mood effect them. For the most part, I think it has worked, but really, I've just laid low and kept to myself. Not to go on and on - but the lesson is, I know that this will pass and something better will come along - it always does. That's life. The hard part is just sticking it out until things turn your way.

1 comment:

Lauren, Daniel, James and baby Brendan. said...

SOOOOO happy there is now a blog! YAY! I plan to stop by often! :-)