Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Everybody's got a Mountain to Climb

While driving in to work this morning, the Allman Brothers', Everybody's Got a Mountain to Climb began to play, it really got me thinking...

I have realized that there are many uphill battles in life, and no matter how bad I think I may have it, or if I think the world is against me, because (god forbid) things don't go my way, I know that everyone is going through their own struggles and hardships...

I moved to Memphis with little more than a suitcase in hand just over six months ago. This story could have gone one of two ways...Luckily, for me, I have a wonderful support system in my family. They took me in, fed me, gave me a place to sleep, and waited on me to find a job.



This was not the "norm" for me. Prior to Memphis, I have been living on my own, or with a "significant other" for the past 10 years. I made a nice little life for myself. I had all of the material things that I no longer have - a bed (that I own), furniture, a tv, a computer, I even had quite a few nice things - and a kitchen that I could cook a mean meal in... let me tell you! Before this turns into a pity party story, I lost all of those things... through very little fault of my own (although my ex-husband my disagree), but what I gained in return is irreplaceable! I have been able to regain friendships that I had lost or that were strained, and I got my family back. I have also regained my self respect and confidence (or at least some of it).

In Birmingham, I worked as an HMIS (Homeless Management Information System) system administrator, this job afforded me many chances to interact with the homeless men and women of Birmingham, to hear their stories and to share in their joys as well as their pain. Although I have a huge uphill battle to regain my security (in more ways than one), remembering my time in Birmingham helps me keep my woes in perspective.


Everybody's Got A Mountain to Climb by The Allman Brothers Band



This road we travel gets a little tough sometimes,
Sometimes I know you feel like you cant go on,
Need somebody help you get back home,
Need a friend to help you find your way home.
Reverend pearly brown say theres peace out on the water at night,
Big sun going down, lord its a pretty sight,
Red and blue across the water makes a wonderful song,
Listen to it all night long.


Everybodys got a mountain to climb,
Dont be discouraged when the sun dont shine,
Gotta keep on pulling, you gotta keep on tryin,
Everybodys got a mountain to climb,
Everybodys got a mountain to climb.

Who'd cross the face of a little smilin child?
Take away the losers one last chance?
Who wouldnt linger down by the old river for a while?
You know the whole world loves you when youre dancin.
So, hey let me tell you what Im talkin about,
You cant go around with your lip stuck out.
Life aint all good but it sure aint bad,
Anyway its the best old life I ever had.

Everybodys got a mountain to climb,
Dont be discouraged when the sun dont shine,
Gotta keep on pulling, you gotta keep on tryin,
Everybodys got a mountain to climb.
Everybodys got a mountain to climb,
Dont be discouraged when the sun dont shine,
Gotta keep on pulling, you gotta keep on tryin,
Everybodys got a mountain to climb.


**and THIS is what makes it all worth it**

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Great song! You are a talented lady! I love reading your stuff b/c its like you are in my head! You are going to be JUST FINE! I LOVE YOU LADY and I'm sad I wont be seeing you soon. I owe you a visit!