Friday, July 18, 2008

It's amazing...


...what you can learn from the Internet. This week I learned that my grandfather (my dad's dad) was the mayor of his city since 1995! I had no idea. He and his wife are also very philanthropic and apparently have been for years and years (maybe that's where I get it??). The town recently threw a celebration for him and his wife for their many years of service and dedication to Laurel Hill

Laurel Hill honors Doug & Estelle Rogers at reception
In recognition of their many years of combined service to Laurel Hill, the city honored former Mayor Douglas Rogers and his wife, Estelle Rogers, at a reception in the Fellowship Hall of the First Baptist Church. (May 17, 2008)

I haven't been in contact with this side of my family since I was about 12 (1992). I had no idea how well they were doing, or honestly, if they were even still living. It makes me happy to learn good news like this and has even made me consider including them in my letter writing... we'll see how that goes. I have included pictures from the celebration. (Top Left: Estelle and my grandfather awards in hand, Below Left to Right: (1) My dad; (2) My dad, Aunt Ginger and my cousin, Jordan; (3) Estelle, my grandfather, Aunt Ginger, Jordan (4) Laurel Hill HS Class of '45 my granddad left, Estelle right) My uncle John was also there, but I can't get any pictures with him to upload...technology.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amanda, the Internet is truly amazing! Estelle sent me the link to your blog and I was so thrilled to be able to contact you! My email is sginger2@tampabay.rr.com and I would love to hear from you.

Aunt Ginger

Estelle said...

Amanda, how lovely to find you and reconnect! We think of you often. Enjoyed reading about you and hope to hear from you soon.

Blessings,

Estelle